Friday, September 22

My Fall Bucket List


Fall is my favorite season. When I was in high school, I used to say that Spring was my favorite - something pretentious having to do with "rebirth" or something. Although Fall is arguably the opposite of that (everything is literally dying), I've come to love everything about the season - the colors, the smells, the tastes, the comfort - and I couldn't be more excited about Fall in Denver this year!

So, what's on my fall bucket list?




  • Go apple picking -- I love apple picking, and I really missed it last year because I was so stressed and busy. I went picking every fall (multiple times) when I lived in New Hampshire, and I'm excited to find some orchards here in Colorado. Ya Ya Farm and Orchard looked especially good! I also anticipate going apple picking while we're in New Hampshire in early October. I will go a million times and be so so so happy. I'm also excited for apple cider and especially for apple cider donuts!
  • Go to a pumpkin patch -- It's not fall if you don't get a pumpkin, right? They're already out at Whole Foods, but I resisted getting one there because we're going to a real patch this fall! This one looked really promising. There's also a pumpkin festival happening from October 13-15!
  • Denver Oktoberfest -- It's this weekend and next, so I've gotta get a move on, here. I'm gone next weekend at a wedding, so it looks like I'll be stopping by this evening or tomorrow if I want to go. I've never been to an Oktoberfest before, and I would never say no to a German brat (not a euphemism, haha).
  • Bake -- If you know me at all, you know I love to cook and bake, though I'm much better at cooking. Baking requires precision, and I really like to improvise. Regardless, fall is the time for baking! Everything is spiced and has this amazing, warm depth to it; it's a time for eating earthy foods and wearing sweaters and drinking hot drinks. This fall, I really want to make mini apple pies, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, and bread. I've made all of the above before, albiet probably not very well. I make a mean mini apple pie (using pre-bought dough, of course), and I want to try to make a bread that's not foccacia. I have a really hard time baking with pumpkin, so now's as good a time as any to really spice up (ha) my baking repertoire!
  • Go ghost hunting -- I will be the first to tell you that I don't believe in ghosts. I see absolutely no reason, spiritual or scientific, as to how ghosts could or should exist. Does that stop me from being obsessed with every ghost show on the Travel Channel? Decidedly not. The Stanley Hotel (the one from "The Shining") is right next to Rocky Mountain National Park and has ghost tour nights for a pretty affordable price. J and I will find a way to go!
  • Go hiking-- As I said, J and I have done a pretty terrible job at exploring this beautiful state in which we live. I want this fall to be different - I want to go to Rocky Mountain National Park with J (I've been twice now and he's never been) and I really want to find a bunch of great trails to hike in the mountains. We loved hiking in New Hampshire, and although I'm afraid of heights, I really wish we made time to go hiking here... so let's make time!
  • Watch scary movies -- To be fair, we do this all the time anyway, but there's nothing like curling up with a hot drink and blankets to watch a scary movie! I'll have J start putting together his preferred list of movies since he has so many to choose from.
  • Make mulled wine -- I got J mulled wine spices last year when I visited Portsmouth, New Hampshire. He loves red wine and he really loves how mulled wine makes the whole apartment smell. They're pretty cheap to get, and it's such an indescribablly delicious smell when it's been bubbling over the stove for a few hours - spicey, rich, indulgent, and somehow really traditional, even though my family didn't drink it growing up. I feel the same way when I make chicken stock over the stove - it makes the whole apartment smell warm and homey.

Other things I'm excited to do?


What are you excited about for fall? Are you planning on doing any of the things on my bucket list? Which are you most excited about?

SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS