Wednesday, February 11

12x12: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone



Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
by J.K. Rowling

My mom read this book to me for the first time when I was 11 years old - literally the most perfect age to be reading this book. Since then, this has been my favorite series, my favorite world, and my favorite escape. It feels kind of silly to review this book, but hey - it's my second of my twelve books this year, and if I'm going to review all of them, it seems unfair to leave this one out!

What I Loved:

  • Of the series, this may be my favorite book. I love new beginnings, and this book is the epitome of beginnings. It's an introduction to the Wizarding world, full of vivid descriptions of places like the Dursley home, Hogwarts, and Diagon Alley. I love reading about the new world Harry gets freed into - about the new "rules" and all the options now available to him.
  • Going to the Harry Potter theme park in Orlando was one of the best things to ever ever ever happen to me, and WHAT I WOULDN'T GIVE to be able to actually enter this world. Going to the theme park was the closest I will ever come... besides reading these books over and over and over again.
  • Every time I re-read the books, I find something that I didn't before. It's (dare I say it) magical!
  • It's a perfect book and a perfect start to the series. If you disagree, then you can just get the hell out.

What I Wasn't Crazy About:
  • I think it's probably the least "shelled out" of the series simply because it's the first book. There are weird little quirks, like McGonagall not thinking that Dumbledore knew it was her at the beginning - you're telling me that she's never turned into a cat to help the Order of the Phoenix in the past twelve years or so? Or that Hagrid's doing magic on Muggles without getting in trouble from the Ministry?
  • Psh, I don't even care though.

Would I Recommend This Book?
  • This doesn't even deserve a real response. If you're human and have any emotions or imagination, you would love this book and this series.
  • Honestly, if you haven't read it yet and you're an adult, I still think it's worth picking up. It's fun, easy to read, and super creative. It brings out the kid in me every time I re-read the books!


No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS