Thursday, January 12

New Hair & Review


A few weeks ago, I dyed my hair. It was kind of a big deal to me - I haven't colored it since it was red (way back when I was in New Hampshire, like a year ago). At the time, I was sick of having to keep the color up. Red is a particularly hard color to keep vibrant, and I was spending sooo much money on professional color and box color just to keep it looking nice. 

I decided I was going to let my natural dirty-blonde color grow out, and proceeded to wait through the weird color transitions. There were a few weeks there where my hair probably looked more stupid than I even remember. But in the end, I was blonde again and didn't need to color my hair anymore. It was a relief... for a while.




I've been my natural blonde for about a year now - through graduation, bar admissions, the wedding - with no complaints. But this fall, I started to get antsy. I get so bored with my hair, between length and color, that I always want to switch it up and reinvent myself and my image. It's often something I do when I'm feeling a little insecure - when I need a boost of confidence, or when I need to show myself that I'm in control. But this time, I couldn't go pink or blue or purple. I'm working at a firm that I love, and one of the things about looking "professional" in the real world (I'm still working on what that means) is that I can't look exactly how I want. I'll probably post something more substantial about this in the future, but point being, I was struggling with how to switch up my look while still looking professional.

Throwback to 2011!
I settled on brown. It was a perfect color for the winter months, it was different enough from my natural blonde to make me excited, and I knew it would compliment both my skin tone and my general "look" because I had used the same brand and a similar color before, in college. When I was looking through old pictures for what I wanted (there are a few advantages to having every hair cut and color under the sun), I kept coming back to these pictures of myself in college where I had generally straight bangs with my pixie cut. Sometimes my hair was pink, sometimes brown, but regardless, I was feeling it. Maybe it's that I'm missing my college friends and feeling nostalgic for a time where I had fewer responsibilities. Maybe it's just that I looked adorable. Regardless, I decided on the color and the cut.

I dyed my hair myself around Christmas, then got my hair cut just a week or so ago. It's such a perfect cut because I can move my bangs off to the side or have them straight down. I'm feeling straight bangs so hard right now.



Around this same time period, I also got a new VoxBox from Influenster! I was chosen to review L'Oreal EverPure Volume Shampoo and Conditioner for free, and I was thrilled. The particular shampoo and conditioner they "picked" for me is volumizing, specifically for fine hair, sulphate-free, and supposed to protect color. It couldn't have come at a better time!

Overall, the shampoo and conditioner are both fine. They smell amazing (seriously), but the caps kind of get stuck closing and honestly, they're nothing special. Mind you, I have no complaints - but I'm using LUSH shampoo and conditioner right now, and comparing them is a little cruel. Still, my hair felt nice after using the products (soft and voluminous), and they're both only $7.99! The price makes these a really good fit if you're trying to save money. It's a solid, good product - just don't expect these to be anything they're not.

-------

Do you change up your look when you're bored? What's your favorite hair color you've had? Do you like me as a brunette?

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS