Wednesday, July 8

12x12 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban



Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
by J.K. Rowling

Unlike the second Harry Potter book, I've historically always enjoyed the third Harry Potter book. I was excited to read it this time as well - I love that it's a little darker and introduces a lot of important characters! Funny enough, it tends to be my favorite movie, but as far as books goes, it ends up being in the middle of my favorites: not one I'm dying to read, but also not one I'm dreading (though to be fair, there are NO Harry Potter books I dread reading).


What I Loved:
  • I was pleasantly surprised how much there is in the book about how Harry's parents died, including the introduction of the "secret-keeper." I had totally forgotten that was a plot point in this book - I somehow remembered it being later in the series?
  • While I had forgotten how little actually happened in this book, I really liked how much you get to learn about school at Hogwarts. The first and second books focus more on Harry's adventures instead of the class they're taking. Maybe it's because I'm a nerd, but I did like learning more about the different classes.
  • I paid more attention to the prophecies than I did in the past, and I'm excited to see how they turn out in the later books now that I'm paying attention!
  • I really liked how much the book dealt with weakness and fear, and whether those are actually "bad." I think we all tend to think of emotion as weakness, and I love how Harry dealt with being scared and emotional and vulnerable, and eventually using those "weaknesses" and turning them into strengths. I love that the main character in this series is emotionally vulnerable! Especially with how we treat men and emotion in American society, I think it's really cool to have a main male character like that. Aren't we all emotionally vulnerable, even in every day life?
  • Looking back, I love how much Lupin supports Neville. Neville tends to get emotionally beat up a lot by Snape (someone seems a little bitter about whose mother could have died instead, amirite??), but Snape seems especially terrible to Neville in this book. I love how Lupin really begins to bring out Neville's bravery and inner strength - he's a Gryffindor, after all! Poor Neville gets a bad rap in the books from time to time, but I love seeing him grow as a character.

What I Wasn't Crazy About:

  • As I already alluded to, I remembered liking this book more than I did this time. I mean, I obviously really enjoyed it, but it felt like this book had fewer "nuggets" that relate to the bigger story than the last two books did.

Would I Recommend This Book?
  • Of course! It's still a really important book in the series, you learn a lot about life at Hogwarts, and it brings in Sirius Black, who I will always love with a passion. What a cool ass dude. Also, Neville 4 ever.


Which is your favorite Harry Potter book? What do you love most about this particular book?

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS