Thursday, March 21

Healthy Road Snacks!


Since I've been trying to eat healthier, I've come across a "problem" over and over again: What are healthy foods that are easy to take on road trips? Here are just a few that I've put together:

(1) Larabars: They have a pretty high fat content, but they're delicious and made with all-natural ingredients. So at least if you're eating a Larabar, you know it's a natural (yummy) fat!
(2) Annie's Cheddar Bunnies: I will never eat Cheese-Its again. Ever. They're also all-natural and totally addictive. Good when you're craving carbs and/or bunnies. :3
(3) Babybel Light Cheese: Super easy to bring with you on a trip and very delicious! If you're a cheese lover, go buy a net of them!
(4) Terra Original Vegetable Chips: Not the healthiest option, but a lot healthier than regular chips! Plus they seasing is to die for and they're satisfyingly crunchy!
(5) Granny Smith Apples: Portable, mouth-watering, and perfect.
(6) Carrots: I prefer a bag of petite carrots, but to each her own! I find them perfect for snacking and it nice to get that juicy crunch on the road from something healthy!
(7) Sugar Snap Peas: If I can get past the price of sugar snap peas right now, haha. Seriously, these are so delicious when they're raw. I love the crunch that these have too!

This isn't to say that all of these are the healthiest things for you; obviously the chips are still, well, chips. But as Catherine from, "Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth" pointed out when she made Kale Chips:
"Baking kale chips or any vegetables for that matter reduces some of the nutritional properties of the whole food, so it is suggested that you use a dehydrator to preserves the nutrients and enzymes that help with energy and digestion... Don’t be afraid of losing some of the nutritional value during baking if you only have access to an oven… Kale Chips are obviously a much healthier option than greasy potato chips!"
Basically, all of these are healthier options than stopping at a gas station and buying Gardetto's (which I still do from time to time, NO SHAME).

If you're going to be flying, some of these ideas probably won't work. Last time I flew, I brought two boxes of Larabars with me, a can of almonds, and a box of Annie's Cheddar Bunnies and got through security just fine. Plus it was great to have healthier options to snack on at the airport. I think even just knowing that I had food if I wanted it helped!


What other travel foods would you suggest? Are you as obsessed with Gardetto's as I am?

4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try the Larabar's! Now I have to :) My favorite healthy snack is the KIND bars that they sell at grocery stores and starbucks. They are sooooo good and healthy. You should try it next time you're there

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I've never tried them! I'll pick one up next time I get groceries. :)

      You should definitely try the "Apple Pie" flavor of Larabar! I don't like apple pies in real life, but I can't get enough of the Apple Pie Larabars! I've also tried the Blueberry Muffin one (not my favorite) and the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough kind (my boyfriend is obsessed with them).

      xo Madie

      Delete
  2. Annie's white cheddar bunnies are my favorite!! Also, I always love to eat apples on the road. The other things sound/look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they?! I was addicted the moment I tried them! :) It's been a challenge since I started eating healthier this year, so I'm always looking for new ideas.

      xo Madie

      Delete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS