Thursday, May 22

Easy-Peasy Tom Yum Soup!


I keep promising a recipe for this, and I just keep failing to deliver it! Well, today's the day. I got two comments on my last instagram post of this soup to share it, so share it I will!

I found a recipe on Pinterest last fall for Tom Yum soup. Now, I don't know how authentic it was. I know that when I order "Tom Yum Seafood Soup" at Siam Orchid, it does not look one bit like this. But I also know that I've eaten this soup ALMOST every day for a week since I've moved to Des Moines, and I also know that I survived my first year of law school eating it whenever I could. So there's that!

Time to cook: 10-15 minutes
Servings: 3-4
Calories per serving: ~130
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups Swanson's Vegetable Broth
  • 1 cup Swanson's 100% Natural Thai Ginger Broth
  • 1/3 can of Coconut milk
  • Broccoli
  • Mushrooms
  • A large handful of Spinach
  • Baby Corn
  • ~10 medium frozen Shrimp
  • 1 cup frozen Edemame
  • Sriracha (to taste)
  • Pepper flakes (to taste)
  • Splash of lime juice

The amounts you use should really depend on how big your pot on the stove is - the one I used back in New Hampshire was massive, so I basically doubled the recipe. The one I have here in Des Moines is much smaller, so I just try and fit everything in without spilling over the top. :)

  • Start with the broth, coconut milk, and lime in the pot, with the heat around medium. 
  • While waiting for it to heat up, I thaw my shrimp so I can take the tails off (I tossed them in with tails once, and it was practically impossible to get the tails off when they were piping hot. Big mistake!). 
  • Toss the frozen edamame directly in the broth and give it a quick stir.
  • While you wait for the broth to heat up, rinse off your spinach. I use TONS of spinach because I love it & because NUTRIENTS. I try and add more than one large handful if I have room. The spinach should go in as soon as possible so it has time to soak up the liquid and shrink!
  • Slice up your broccoli & mushrooms and wash them well. You can use as many or as few as you'd like, but again, I load mine up with veggies.
  • Open the can of baby corn, cut them up if you have to, and add the corn, broccoli, & mushrooms to the pot. 
  • Toss in your shrimp if you haven't already done so.
  • When everything else is in there, add Sriracha and pepper flakes to taste. Odd as it may seem, they are both necessary. I've tried making it before with each instead of both, and each time it just wasn't right.
  • Stir the pot every few minutes to make sure everything's warming up nicely, and just wait! Once everything's hot, it's ready to eat!

It's really a simple, easy recipe, and besides adding the ingredients to the pot, it takes almost no time or effort to make. You could easily relax and watch a show while it's cooking. :)

It's also really good for you! There's a lot of good fat from the coconut milk, tons of veggies, and it has a nice kick to it. It does have a pretty high amount of sodium from the broth, but I don't add any more salt to it, and I don't think it needs it.


Have you ever made this before? Do you think you'll try this recipe out? What veggies would you put in it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS